Saturday, August 30, 2008

80 thousand Obama supporters and one Chabad Shliach


Last Thursday Rabbi Benjy Brackman, shliach in Westminister, Colorado attended the Democratic convention together with 80,000 people at the Mile High stadium in Denver.
I have been living in the U.S. for over 18 years and I never attended a political event," says Rabbi Brackman "but last week I received a personal invitation from Colorado Congressman Jared Polis to attend the convention and I agreed.
"I figured I would be meeting a lot of Jews there and it would be a perfect opportunity for Mivtza Tefilin so I brought along a pair of Tefilin. There was a very big line at the entrance to the stadium with strict security check by the American FBI. This helped me to shmooze with Jews and put Tefilin on them. All along I was praying that the secret service will not confiscate the two black boxes in my hand.
As the event and speeches began I was attracted to a very significant factor - the display of unity - 80,000 people with one common goal. Most of the time this stadium hosts two rival teams but now everyone was united under one theme. I started imagining a site of 80,000 Jews filling up the stadium for one common Jewish goal."
Rabbi Brackman's appearance was definitely an attraction that attracted many Jews. He told them about his shlichus and reminded them that the High Holidays are right around the corner. \he told them about the shluchim, the Chabad movement and the Rebbe.

No comments: